Call to Artists:
M. Hopple & Co., Cincinnati’s premier fine paper goods retailer, is proud to announce our ELEVENTH Annual CityArt Holiday Card Contest. This year, we have chosen the theme “Arts for the Holidays.” (See guidelines below.) Please keep in mind that judges award points based on the following criteria: artwork fits the chosen theme for the year, is appealing to the general population of Cincinnati and the surrounding area, and will reproduce well as a greeting card.
Winning designs will be printed as part of the 2017 CityArt Holiday Card Collection. The collection will be sold at M. Hopple & Co., with a portion of the proceeds going to ArtsWave. ArtsWave, a non-profit serving the Greater Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky Region, is the lead planner, promoter and fundraiser of the arts. ArtsWave was the first and continues to be largest community arts fund in the nation. Strong funding has allowed Cincinnati’s arts and culture scene to become a national draw and regional asset, creating a ripple effect of economic and community benefits. ArtsWave supports the work of over 100 arts organizations, school outreach programs, festivals, community centers, neighborhoods and various collaborations through impact-based grants. Art from this competition has been featured on local morning news shows and in numerous newspapers and media outlets in our region. Since 2006, over 24,000 CityArt cards have been sold.
This year’s theme guidelines:
The theme of this year’s contest is “Arts of the Holidays.” We are asking local artists to capture various local art venues/performances that capture the holidays and winter time in Cincinnati, for example: Holiday Pops with the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra at Music Hall, Holiday Junction at the Museum Center, Antique Christmas at the Taft Museum of Art, The Nutcracker at the Cincinnati Ballet, A Christmas Carol at Cincinnati Playhouse in the Park, Holiday Lights on the Hill at Pyramid Sculpture Park, etc.
Important note regarding size of artwork:
Original art should be no larger than 10” x 14″ and MUST BE PROPORTIONAL TO 5×7. The final cards will be 5” x 7” and printed in full color or black and white, as appropriate. For cropping purposes art is best when it is proportional to the final 5×7 size, either vertical or horizontal. Please be sure no important elements of your work appear within 3/8″ of all outside edges. THIS INCLUDES THE ARTIST SIGNATURE!!! To allow for full bleed printing, 1/4″ will be TRIMMED from all sides.
WARNING: IF YOUR ART IS NOT SET UP AS NOTED ABOVE, ELEMENTS COULD BE CROPPED OUT.
• Art should feature theme as described above. Because the winning submissions will be sold as greeting cards during the holiday season, submissions should be seasonal (avoid summer scenes, spring flowers, etc.)
• Media types can include photo, painting, drawing and collage. Artists should avoid glitter, three dimensional features or other techniques that will not reproduce effectively in print.
• Artists are asked to remove or obscure any features or objects that might be copyrighted, trademarked or otherwise are not part of the public domain, i.e. logos or signs, unless permission is granted in writing by the owner of the feature or object.
• A panel of judges will select a minimum of three winning submissions, with one being an overall winner.
• Artists must agree not to compete with the Holiday Card Collection by reproducing their art in a similar fashion through January 1, 2018.
• Contest organizers have the right to adjust contest guidelines as necessary
September 9, 2017 FINAL DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS (END OF BUSINESS DAY 5:00 P.M.)
September 15, 2017 Winners of Holiday Card Contest Announced
October-December Holiday Card Collection available for sale
November 1, 2017 Original Art and prizes can be picked up at M. Hopple & Co. during normal business hours. Sorry, art will not be returned to artists by mail.
March 1, 2018 Art must be claimed by this date. Unclaimed art will become the property of M. Hopple & Co.
This year’s winners will receive a framed print of their artwork, plus a set of 25 of his/her winning card.
Submissions must be mailed or hand-delivered to:
M. Hopple & Co.
Attn: 2017 CityArt Entries
7920 Hosbrook Road, Cincinnati, Ohio 45243
Our hours of business are: Monday through Friday 10:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. and Saturday 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Please be sure your entry is packed sufficiently to avoid damage. M. Hopple is not liable for damage
to artwork. In order to release the cards in a timely manner, submissions are due by closing time on
DATE OF THE FINAL DEADLINE, NO EXCEPTIONS.